Smoked Bacon, Corn & Blueberry Muffin Cakes with Blueberry-Maple Drizzle
This creative and delicious dish will surprise you! It is perfect for breakfast or a late night snack! Recipe courtesy of the Berry Sweet Baking Contest, which was co-sponsored by California Giant Berry Farms.
- 1/3 cup cooked, crumbed applewood smoked bacon
- 1 pkg. Concord Foods Blueberry Muffin Mix
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole kernel sweet corn, from a can, well drained
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, plus 1 cup, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- Orange slices and fresh blueberries for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In each muffin cup, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon bacon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine muffin mix, egg, milk and sour cream until well combined. Fold in cheese, corn, 1 cup blueberries and green onions until well combined.
- Spoon batter in each muffin cup, dividing equally. Bake 20-22 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan 5-8 minutes or until just cool enough to handle. Remove muffins from pan. Slice off a very thin layer off top of each muffin, so when inverted they lay flat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, add 1 cup blueberries and maple syrup. Bring to simmer. Cook 5-10 minutes or until berries have burst and mixture has thickened. Remove from heat; pass through a sieve to remove blueberry pieces.
- To serve, invert each muffin (bacon on top) onto a plate; drizzle with blueberry-maple syrup. Serve warm with orange slices and additional blueberries, if desired.
Category: Breads & Breakfast