Lemon Glazed King Cake
For the dough:
- 1 cup milk, heated to 100°F
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packets instant yeast
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Concord Foods Lemon Juice from Concentrate
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
For the filling:
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Concord Foods Lemon Juice from Concentrate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Green, yellow, and purple sprinkles
- In a bowl combine warm milk, 1 teaspoon sugar, and yeast. Stir and let stand for 8-10 minutes, or until foamy and bubbling.
- Add yeast along with reserved sugar and remaining dough ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, or in a large bowl with a spoon. Mix on low speed for 3 minutes, then increase speed to medium and knead for 8 minutes. The dough may seem wet and not form a cohesive ball on the hook. That is ok, the flour will absorb the extra liquid while it rises.
- Turn dough out into a lightly oiled bowl, gently forming it into a ball, then cover and let stand at room temperature until doubled in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.
- While the dough ferments mix the filling. In a small bowl combine all the filling ingredients and mix well. Cover with plastic and let stand at room temperature.
- Lightly flour a work surface and turn the dough out. Dust the top of the dough lightly with flour, then gently press the dough with hands to release air bubbles. Form the dough into a rectangle and roll out to 14”x18”.
- Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1 inch border along one long edge. Brush that edge lightly with water, then roll the dough into a log starting towards the clean edge. Bring ends of dough together to form a ring, and pinch the edges to seal. Adding a little water to the ends will help them seal.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer dough ring to baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Once dough has risen remove plastic and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bread is golden brown all over and sounds hollow when gently tapped on the side.
- Cool on the pan for 30 minutes. While bread cools prepare the glaze by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
- Once bread has cooled so it is only slightly warm pour glaze evenly over top. While glaze is still wet decorate with colored sugar. Let glaze set for at least 1 hour before serving.
*If you want to add a small plastic baby or food safe metal or plastic ring, use a paring knife to gently cut a hole into the bottom of the cake and insert the baby or ring into the hole once it has cooled but before glazing.
**You can add ½ cup finely chopped pecans or ½ cup raisins to the filling if desired.
>PRINT THIS RECIPE!