Lemony Chick Cookies
For the cookies:
- 1 box (15.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Concord Foods Lemon Juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yellow sugar sprinkles
For the frosting:
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons Concord Foods Lemon Juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 drops orange food coloring (or 2 drops red and 2 drops yellow)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon (about 56) blue pearl sprinkles
- 2-3 Candy orange slices cut into small triangles
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with baking parchment.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a large bowl with a hand mixer, add cake mix, flour, butter, eggs, lemon juice, and salt. Mix on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute, then increase speed to medium and mix for 30 seconds.
- Scoop dough by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets, then scoop an additional teaspoon of dough and place at top of larger mound of dough, making sure they are touching. Sprinkle with yellow sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies are puffed and just golden brown at the bottoms. Cool for 10 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While cookies bake prepare the frosting. In a medium bowl combine butter, lemon juice, and powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Remove ¼ of frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small round #2 piping tip. If you do not have a piping tip just cut a very small hole at the end of the bag.
- To remaining frosting add food color. Mix on low speed until frosting is a uniform orange color, about 30 seconds. Add water and mix to thin frosting slightly, another 30 seconds. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round #3 piping tip. If you do not have a piping tip just cut a small hole at the end of the bag.
- Once cookies are cooled pipe feet at bottom of cookies with orange icing. Pipe two vertical lines, and then one small ‘v’ shape at the tops. Next, pipe three wavy lines in a ‘v’ shape on the head of the cookie to resemble ‘fluffy feathers’. Finally, pipe one round dot of icing on the head where the chick’s beak will be placed. Top this dot with an orange candy slice.
- For the eyes, pipe two round dots of white icing, and top each with a blue pearl sprinkle.
- Let cookies stand at room temperature for 30 minutes so icing will set. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature. To preserve decorations, do not stack.
>PRINT THIS RECIPE!